A blog originally started to document our military years;
but now reclaimed to document our crazy but blessed civilian life...

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Since Moving


As of my last post, we had just moved to our new town of Dahlonega, GA and we were getting settled into this new season and location. As much as we hated to leave the Savannah area (previous post HERE explains), we were thankful for a new season of refreshment and refocus.

The weeks before our move were insane. From Stan's job offer to his report date, we literally had 2 weeks to pack up and move. I don't think either of us stopped those two weeks, as we were busy getting our house ready to be on the rental market, finding a new house, packing boxes, etc. Amazingly throughout the moving process, I remained emotionally stable. I shed few tears and had little sad thoughts. I had a full plate and was too busy for those emotions to hit. But they would eventually arrive later. They just wouldn't hit for the reasons I thought... 

On Valentine's Day, we departed and drove out of our driveway. Stan in the packed Uhaul, and me following in our SUV. As I glanced back at our house one final time, thoughts flooded my mind of all the memories shared in those 4 walls. The place we moved as a newlywed couple, starting our first years of marriage. The kitchen where I burned many meals, learning how to cook and be a wife. The living room where we sat on the floor, and ate our wedding cake on our 1st wedding anniversary. The front door, where Stan told me goodbye for a year while he left for Iraq, and I stayed behind. The bathroom, where we got ready for many military balls and special ceremonies. The mailbox, once decorated with balloons from sweet friends, when we brought our first baby home from the hospital. The dining room, where we ate many meals with some of the dearest friends. The backyard, where Stan planted a tree for our daughter, when she turned one month old. And the office, where Stan spent countless hours at his desk, doing what he loved the most- working for the dear church we loved. And just like that, we said goodbye. We said goodbye to all the memories there and started on a journey for a new set of new ones.

The drive up was a blur. I had a mix of emotions. I was so saddened with having to leave behind all of the above. But also anxious to get there and start unpacking. Because of our helpful families, we unpacked and moved into our new house in only a few hours. The following week went remarkably smooth. Stan reported on his first day, showing up at his Alma Mater campus, excited to meet the students he'd be teaching and fellow colleagues he'd instruct with. It was everything he had dreamed it would be. Being back on campus, walking the classroom halls, and teaching the cadets who are the future officers and leaders in the Army, gave him such a feeling of accomplishment and fulfillment. We visited a local church, and fell in love with its vision. I met a few neighbors and friends, and started to feel like things were falling into place. 

I wish I could end the story there.

It was a Tuesday morning, and Stan called me to deliver the news. I cried for hours from the disappointment. I prayed and cried, asking God, "hadn't we been through enough? How could you let this happen?" Stan's job was ending in only a few weeks. Four weeks after Stan reported to the University of North Georgia, as a Senior Military Instructor, the sequester occurred and with it many changes took place. His contract position was a replacement for someone who was on orders to Afghanistan. The sequester caused many deployment orders to be stopped. That person's orders were ended and the university had to resupply that person's job, which put Stan out of his. It was a complicated situation, one that had never occurred at the school before, but it had a simple outcome- no job. 

So there we were, having moved 5 hours to a new place, for the sole purpose of this job, and it would be over in 3 short weeks. I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around it. We were both devastated, and we weren't sure what was happening. We both battled an array of emotions. I couldn't talk about it without crying.  All the emotions that had stay intact while packing and moving, came full force. We were confused and started doubting everything. But in the end, we knew God was still in control. A friend reminded me that God doesn't have a plan B. He goes before us and prepares a way. There aren't any surprises to Him. And He is powerful enough to handle any situation, regardless of how impossible it may seem to us.        

What seems impossible and confusing to us is a time when God can shine... Having spare time this spring from the job cut, Stan was able to complete his first semester of graduate school pursuing his MBA, and pulled all A's. I was able to work part-time hours, meeting new friends, while Ramsey attended a Christian preschool. Due to Stan pursuing his MBA, we got a GI Bill housing allowance (unknown to us), covering most of our housing expense. We got an awesome price from tenants for our home in Savannah, getting a large amount of extra a month to put towards savings. We received many unexpected funds that covered every need. I had the sweetest friends from back in Savannah, who provide me with encouragement and support, which was helpful on days when I needed it most. And, lastly, Stan starts his new job this coming week. He'll start a new path in the industrial world, supervising at a car manufacturing plant, using his business degree and a place where he can put to use his MBA he's earning. Plus, this plant is at the forefront of the car industry, giving him experience using the lean-maunfactoring system, making him desirable for a promotion to other car plants (if he desires), after only 2-3 years of experience. 

Now that we are on the other side, I am at a much better place. I can see the bigger picture. I can see how God was faithful. Today, I am thankful for new seasons in life. I am thankful for each new day, and how it brings God's constant love. One day I will be able to see my whole life. I will see how God used it all (the good and bad) for good. What a great God we serve.

1 comment:

Charlotte Moore said...

Are you all still living in Dahlonega? I live about an hour or so from there.

We are about an hour north of Atlanta.

BLESSINGS!!!